Crystals are like people, they absorb negative and emit positive energies. Therefore it is a good idea to cleanse the crystal of any negative energy it has absorbed and recharge/revitalize its power. The following are a few ways to care for your crystal/stone.
- Soak in a bowl with a pinch of salt and stir clockwise imagining negative energies evaporate. After a 25 seconds, rinse with soap and water, and offer a prayer for the blessing of a deity, angel, or Universe, and to infuse it with healing light.
- Smudge with a sage or cedar stick by first offering smoke to each of the four directions, asking each direction to purify and empower your crystal. Then ask the same of the earth mother and finally the sky father. Smudge the stone in spiral rings above and around the stone/crystal.
- Leave in sunlight and moonlight for 24 hours or in a rainstorm for just two or three minutes. Energizing the stone/crystal during a full moon is powerful.
- You can place the crystal/stone in a lavender, sage, or rosemary pot for a day and wash off any soil with running water.
Below is a list of specific methods to cleanse and recharge certain crystals. (Please note that this list will be updated occasionally to include other crystals and stones.)
|Agate – Blue Lace||Use moonlight as the moon begins to wax|
|Agate – Fire/Red||Pass the crystal through the flame of a red candle to recharge its energy|
|Agate – Moss||Leave with greenery for a night every month|
|Amazonite||Recharge in a mint infusion|
|Amber||Charge the stone in the sunlight at noon for a few minutes|
|Amethyst||Recharge the crystal under the moonlight|
|Apatite||Place near a vase of fresh flowers or on the soil near a herb or plant|
|Aquamarine||Soak in sea water during a full moon or in water with a pinch of salt in a blue glass bowl, rinse with clear water afterward|
|Aventurine||Occasionally charge in the leaves of a green plant during the day|
|Bloodstone||Use running water or in the sunlight for a few minutes|
|Carnelian||Use running water or in the sunlight for a few minutes |
(Use can keep this stone with others to cleanse them with negative energies)
|Chrysocolla||Energize with copper|
|Citrine||Leave this crystal in the morning sun (before noon), remember not to leave Citrine in the sun for too long as it may start to crack|
|Clear Quartz||Does not need cleansing|
|Emerald||Clean with a soft cloth and recharge under a waxing moon|
|Fluorite – Green||Leave in water overnight under the light of the moon|
|Labradorite||Recharge when there is a rainbow or use an iridescent/rainbow sheet|
|Lapis Lazuli||Recharge this stone using starlight|
|Malachite||Cleanse under running water |
Note: if raw/rough stone, when it starts to crumble, bury the stone as it has completed its use
|Moonstone||During a full moon, soak in a dish from moonrise to moonset|
|Opal||Wipe with virgin olive oil or water often but sparingly|
|Red Tiger Eye||Leave in the sunlight from noon until the sun is low in the sky|
|Rainforest Jasper||Sprinkle with sea water or salted water|
|Rhodochrosite||Smudge with rose-scented incense|
|Rose Quartz||Frequently sprinkle a few drops of rose water|
|Selenite||To revitalize, use mineral water and soak during a full moon|
|Turquoise||Smudge with cedar, sage, or sweetgrass|
|Sunstone||Leave for an hour before, during, or after noonday sun, or during summer solstice from dawn til noon|
|Unakite||Sprinkle with a drop of olive oil and then carefully wash in running water|
- Eason, Cassandra (2015). Cassandra Eason’s Healing Crystals. Collins & Brown.
- Hall, Judy (2013). The Encyclopedia of Crystals. Fair Winds Press.
- Hall, Judy (2003). The Crystal Bible. Godsfield Press Ltd.